Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: 416 specs

  1. #1
    Inactive Member yves farge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    May be somebody you can help me before I use my 416 loudspeakers

    I have bought in the early 80s a pair of 416 8B loudspeakers in a small shop in New York City as I intended to build a pair of ONKEN bass enclosure. Unfortunately I could not do because of the size of the enclosure which was too big.

    I then decided to build the smaller model based on the 414 8A which I still use today with a 291-16B and a 2405H.

    Now I have moved to a new house and I am back with building my ONKEN (or may a VOT bass enclosure if I can find precise enough plans).

    The two loudspeakers do not have a close serial number and I would like to know if it is possible to identify what they are and if they can be used together in a stereo set.

    One 416 has
    serial number : 26283
    There is a stamp on the spider : 102478
    There is a lable inside the spider showing : 53243 - 391841
    The paper con is grey color and has a stamp on it 21184 4
    The part which glues the cone to the spider is black
    Inside the paper cone I can see a octogonal piece of metal

    One 416 has
    serial number : 33744
    There is a stamp on the spider : AL85
    There is a lable inside the spider showing : 53055 - 391830
    The paper con is brown/grey color and has a stamp on it 21184 4
    The part which glues the cone to the spider is dark brown
    Inside the paper cone I can see a round piece of metal

    Do you think those are the same (alnico or ferrite)
    How many years (months) between the two units


    Thanks in advance for any info you can provide me.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member cddeluca@telocity.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 14th, 2002
    Posts
    78
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    From what I see the EIA codes say they're practically twins: 391841 (the 41st week of (196?)8 and 391830 (the 30th week of (196?)8.

  3. #3
    Inactive Member yves farge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    So the serial number is meaningless ?

    Also I did not ask on my previous post but I was told by a hi fi shop here that if they are alnico then they need to be magnetized again as probably have lost there magnet properties.

    Is this true and does it affect the sound ?


    Of course the man who told me this said they can be re magnetized (for $80 each)

  4. #4
    Inactive Member eibei's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    36
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Good Morning yvf:::

    $80.00 - someone wants to get rich fast. The recone & re-edge specialist I use provides this service for $10.00.

    I hope you can find a place with a price that is more inline with the service provided.

    Lynn

  5. #5
    Inactive Member HarryBriscoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    8
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    YVF,

    Send them to Great Planes Audio in OKC. Bill will bring them back as good as new. He has good prices.

    Harry

  6. #6
    Inactive Member yves farge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Red face

    Lynn, Harry
    Thanks for your answer.
    Unfortunatelly shiping from Paris, France to the US would be too expensive.

    The real question for me is : Should I take the risk to build either the ONKEN or VOT boxes ??

    Do you know by experience if 416 Alnico speakers which are 25 years old and which have never been used (kept in a clean and dry place) need to be remagnetized before they can be used in a home system?

    Building the enclosures is a one month effort and lot of money so I don't want to take the risk of been disapointed.

  7. #7
    Inactive Member Fitts's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    201
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have a pair of VOT cabinets that I built and I like them a lot. I have a detailed set of plans that I can mail to you if you decide to go with the VOT. They do seem to work best in big rooms and they do take up a lot of space so be sure you have room for them.

    Alnico magnets that I have owned have held their magnetic strenght well and only needed remagnetizing when badly mistreated. If you can find any evidence that the speaker was dropped or hit hard with a solid object then remagnetization would be recommended but probably not needed from your description.

  8. #8
    Inactive Member Roland N R's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 24th, 2003
    Posts
    113
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Do not need remagnitizing since no overuse or trauma.

    The 825-828 cabs do not provide deep bass below 50Hz so consider that before building. Best bet is a vented 9-10 cu ft cab like in the model 19
    with a horn XO at 500Hz. Use T/S speaker calculator to figure out tuning/vents etc and make dimensions fit your decor. Onkens are basically the same and usually need two 15"/cab.

  9. #9
    Inactive Member yves farge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    11
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Roland,

    Thank you for the info.
    When you say ONKEN are basically the same, do you mean that they are the same as the Model 19 or as the VOT ??

  10. #10
    Inactive Member Roland N R's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 24th, 2003
    Posts
    113
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Onkens will perform more like the vented model 19 cabs with deeper bass than Vott cab

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.